Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Some Stillness...

'Tis the season for hustle & bustle, rushing off here and there, and un-ending to-to lists which in turns creates the season for anxiety, stress, knee-jerk reactions, etc. How can a season as beautiful as Christmas turn into something so ugly?

I'm well aware of these happenings and I typically try to prepare as best I can so that I don't contribute to the madness. I try to keep my focus and perspective and remember the truly important things in life so that I'm not as affected by the outer craziness. Most times, I'm really able to accomplish this without much trouble. But lately, my life has been very busy. Our routines have not remained constant, we've been rushing from one thing to another, I've been working too many hours and not sleeping enough. I've felt myself influenced, affected, and altered by things that I did not choose and in ways I did not want. I feel myself falling victim to what I typically avoid.

I've come to a point where I can recognize that I need to slow down a bit. I need some calm, quiet, and space to remember who I am and where my focus needs to be. It has meant altering my plans a bit, re-prioritizing, deciding what needs to be done and what I could probably let go. It will involve some different choices over the next few weeks to remain the person that I aspire to be. But it is so necessary.

So...I vow to sleep more, work less, sip more tea, play more with the kids, talk more with my husband, and help us all to enjoy the magic (not the stress) of this wonderful season. This is me.

0 comments: