Monday, March 22, 2010

Fresh Spaces...

Motivated by this new season of ours, along with warm sunshine, I was inspired to freshen up a few corners of our home this weekend. There were some spaces that needed to be utilized and some storage needs to be creatively met. When decorating, I like to challenge myself to use things I already have. Being resourceful and thinking outside the box results in having really interesting and meaningful accents in our home without adding clutter and bulk.
These beautiful vintage suitcases were all found on Etsy at pretty reasonable prices. I use them a lot for photo props. They add a unique, vintage element to our entryway and they will be great for storing all of our hats, scarves, and mittens.


We've had this empty space here in front of this window since Christmas. I was thinking that I really wanted some sort of ottoman there...which I still may do...but for now, this vintage hand-me-down chair that belongs to the girls' furniture set serves well to fill the space and offer additional seating. I stole this rug from our entryway to add purpose and definition to the space. We also switched around some of our bigger wall pieces because either they no longer worked in their current space and/or they made more sense somewhere else.
Of course, the girls were inspired to do a little sprucing of their own. It was way past time to get those paper snowflakes off of the finger knitted garlands hanging abve their beds.
They used some construction paper, markers, and glue to make some springtime characters.

After a quick mop of the floors, the house felt fresh and new!

Tomorrow, I'll be posting the first of a new series of artist interviews along with a very special GIVE-AWAY!!!! See you then! Happy Monday!

12 comments:

barbara March 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

really cute! love what you did with the entry way and Maria's bedroom is the same color!

Johnna Riddell March 22, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

your entryway looks stunning :) I just adore the idea of the suitcases :) And... the girls rooms look lovely. Wonderful, Springy accents.

I love spring cleaning :)

I am really looking forward to your new blog series :)

PhotoPuddle March 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Love the suitcases. It will make your hallway look like you are off on holiday every day! Fantastic!

Kristi March 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

I love your entryway...I have some vintage suitcases that I use for storing various things. Mine seem to store mostly crafts. The garland over your girls' beds are so adorable.

Cassie March 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

O.O How wonderful. I wish I had a big house.. even a small one.. to decorate. Being limited to one room- not so fun.

I love the suitcase idea. Thank goodness garage sales are almost underway and maybe I can purchase some! Where did you find them on Etsy?

Beth Simmons March 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

I love all of these very creative decorating ideas! Really, they should be in a magazine. Looking forward to the new artist series!

Heidi March 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

maegan, you are so creative and have such a beautiful home! i love all of it, especially the little garlands over the girl's beds!!!

Jamie March 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

The suitcases are genius!

Kim Klassen March 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

oh your sweet cheery home, so matches your sweet cheery blog!! :)

love, love the color in the girls room.... their art is fabulous!!

your suitcases are so cool.
just so springy looking!

♥kim

Kathleen March 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

I've been poring through design magazines lately, looking for beautiful decorating ideas - turns out all I needed was right here! Do you happen to know what color the girls' room is? I could happily paint my whole house green...

Micheline March 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Your house looks so fresh and inviting. Perfect for spring. I also love the garlands. I bet the girls had a lot of fun making them.

Romero April 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

very very very nice blog!!!! so lovely