Friday, June 4, 2010

Community...


When I began blogging two and a half years ago, I had no idea what I would write or who would read it. I had created my blog mainly as a marketing tool for my then handmade soap business. My beginnings were rough and sparse and I had no consistent patterns or styles...and I had no comments. None.

But I enjoyed blogging. I was never one to keep a journal, but I found myself really loving having this space to share my days, my thoughts, my pictures, and my life. So I wrote...perhaps to no one at all...but I wrote. Then during the summer of 2009, I joined a couple of online groups/happenings/e-courses and I became more active on Flickr. I started to meet some people and, much to my surprise, I started to make friends. Now you must know that for a long time I was embarrassed to tell people that some of my best friends I had met online and we had never actually met in real life. But the more I interacted socially online, the better I got to know these online friends, and the less I even cared that I wasn't exactly sure what some of my best friends even looked like. I can honestly say that for perhaps the first time in my life that I have a network of women friends whom I really respect and appreciate. I rarely think of the fact that we have never officially me.

A few months ago, a couple of my online friends {who also were online friends} had a vision. They wanted to create a small network of like minded friends/bloggers who could unite in an effort to deepen and enrich our online communities. When I was approached to be a founding member of this network, there was not one bone in my body that didn't leap at the opportunity. The idea was that together we could dream bigger, do more, reach further, and connect deeper.

I am so excited to finally introduce you all to Bigger Picture Blogs...{from our website}

a collaborative effort between five like-minded writers — Corinne, Hyacynth, Maegan, Melissa and Sarah — who wanted to deepen their relationships with the readers they call friends as well as with each other. We know that this motherhood journey is a long road and that it’s too tough to forge alone; we need the support, encouragement and love only found in the words and thoughts from other mothers traveling that unique yet oh-so-different road of living while juggling the responsibilities of being a mother/spouse/friend/daughter/waitress/sanitary director. And, importantly, sometimes we need encouragement to turn our eyes to our own souls and nurture ourselves; we find that here.

By coming together, we hope to deepen the conversations started in our posts and shared in the comments. We’ve been sharing stories, tears, joys, advice and life in general. Won’t you join us on this road as we look at the Bigger Picture while soaking up the moments that make up everyday life?

Because the journey is so much better with friends.

It is the very sincere vision of our group to bring all sorts of people together in connection and friendship by a variety of means: projects, adventures, discussions, and more! We all hope that you will join along with us and help to form a big, humongous, supportive, friendly network of all of us that live life to the fullest, love with our whole hearts, and write about our journeys.

To read more about Bigger Picture Blogs {including fun bios of all its founders} you can visit our website. Also, we'd love for you to tell us your thoughts and ideas or extend a topic that has come up in one of our posts over at our Blog Frog Community. Also, please become a fan of {aka: Like} the Bigger Picture Blogs Facebook page so you'll get updates of all our happenings.

We will be having our first group blogging activity after Boot Camp...you definitely want to join in!

As far as this particular space goes, aside from hosting a weekly link-up every once in a while, nothing much will change. It will still be me trying to make the best of this crazy life. And I will still be grateful that you're here...whether you comment or not! But if you are looking for community, for discussion, for connection, or all of the above, we hope to be able to provide that as well through this new and exciting venture. 

12 comments:

Corinne Cunningham June 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

What a lovely introduction for BPB! So happy to have you on this journey!

This Heavenly Life June 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

Well done, Maegan! I'm so excited, and reading your words makes me even MORE excited. If that's possible :)

Amy June 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

Well you're just full of creative energy and wonderful ideas. I love hanging around you in the hopes that some of it will rub off on me! Best wishes on your new project.

Teresa June 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

What a fun idea, I'll definitely be following!

Jamie June 4, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

What an exciting new adventure for you. As someone who has been reading and loving your blog for a long time, I'm so excited to see your challenging yourself and all of your amazing successes.

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 June 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

So excited about this, what an awesome thing you girls are doing!
And I can relate to so much you said here...I am so happy that I jumped into the Flickr/blogging world because I have "met" so many awesome, creative women, like you! : ) So happy to call you a friend!

Hyacynth June 4, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

Loving your intro, Maegan. I'm looking forward to this awesome adventure with you. :)

Suzanne Jeanette June 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

Maegan, you inspire me! For someone who is struggling with her "blogging identity", learning to be a mother, and trying to find a balance of self and family, I feel very lucky to have found you and all of your creative ideas and adventures. I am excited to check out your new site, and excited to start boot camp this weekend! Thank You!

Erin Wallace June 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

This sounds really cool and I'm excited to check out the blog!

Please check my blog - there's something there for you (you may have already received it, but you deserve it, so I gave it to you anyway!)

xo Erin

Kim Klassen June 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM  

biggest congrats meg.....

Izabela June 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

Ok, I have to admit, I've been peeking for a couple weeks, and now I'm intrigued. I used to blog on LiveJournal but it became a bit too negative and I did not feel inspired. This, your blog has definately inspired me and opened my eyes to new things.

How do I get started? Do I need to create a blog? I'm new to this blogger thing on here so I'm a bit lost.

Thank you for any advice you can give.
Izzy

Unknown June 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

It sounds a wonderful idea. Congratulations on getting it set up and I wish you well.
I'm very new to your blog, a friend pointed me towards the Creativity Boot Camp so I'm looking forward to seeing more and now to finding yet more blogs to read!