Friday, January 15, 2010

Growing Crystals & Learning Patience...


It's so funny how {if your looking} nearly everything in life carries it's own lessons. And they're so precious...really. And I don't know, perhaps it's because I'm always looking for blogging material or maybe just because I'm a mom, but the littlest things often turn into these great big "aaaahhh...now I see" moments; moments that I then carry with me and turn to on hard days or in challenging moments.

A couple of weeks ago, I read about Robin making crystallized snow flakes. Yes, it was Martha craft {which are typically just way over my head} but Robin made it look rather attainable. So I purchased my supplies and went to it.


Now, knowing myself and how I get when I'm not quite sure what I'm doing {snippy, impatient, easily flustered}, I decided that I would make the first round of snowflakes without asking the girls to help. Then, once I had a better grasp on the craft, I'd do it again with them. {see, there was another lesson I learned from small moments!} I formed my pipe cleaners, suspended them in their jars, prepared my solution, poured it into the jars, and left them to sit. And then I waited. And waited. And waited.


Now granted, I was doing this in the morning hours. Martha's directions say to let them sit overnight. So I wasn't expecting instant results. But Robin said that her crystals had formed in a couple of hours. So where in the devil were my crystals? I checked them before bed and, still, very little crystal action had happened. What did I do wrong? Why did this work for others and not for me? I followed the directions. I did what I was supposed to be doing. {are you seeing where this fable is going????}


Okay, so I woke up in the middle of the night {with Maya who had an ear infection} and checked on them again. Ooooo...progress. Not great. Not "wow...that's a lot of crystals." But progress, none the less. And seeing how patience was clearly the way to go here, I left them in their solutions for the whole next day and through the next night. Then, the next morning, you can say it with me..."WOW! That's a lot of crystals!"

THE LESSON: Doing all the work, taking all the right steps, and waiting a little bit does not always equal great success; even when such success has happened quickly and easily for others. Equally as true, doing nothing or not taking all the appropriate steps and then waiting a long time will also not equal great success. However, doing the work and taking the proper steps will, in time, yield great results. Perhaps not in rapid speed. Perhaps not even in a more conservative span of time. But, my friends, great crystals are forming. Be patient!

7 comments:

Johnna Riddell January 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

I know what you mean, everything seems to carry these life changing revelations. it's good and sometimes exhausting :)

I love this blog and the story of your process. patience is so important and it's easy to forget that... thanks for bringing it back into focus for me...

and WOW that is a lot of crystals!

Kris's Kaptured Moments January 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

Wow, this is beautiful..I soo want to try it with the kiddos...
Beautiful...
xx

Moonlight Glasses January 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

Wow, this is really pretty. (:
I'm going to try that. (:

moonlightglasses.blogspot.com

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 January 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM  

Thank you for another little life lesson Maegan, you know I come here for those because I am in constant need of reminders! Patience is something that does not come real naturally to me and is one of the many things about me that need work. Thank you for sharing with us, it really always helps me to read these things from someone else's point of view. Have a great weekend!

Corinne Cunningham January 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

What a neat project, especially the life lessons that went with it :)
Patience is not one of my strong points... so I truly appreciate this!

Anonymous January 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

I want to try this. How beautiful and I will know to be patient:) Lovely images!

Jamie January 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

I needed that reminder today.