Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sending Love To Haiti...


I took a lot of time this weekend to absorb and try to understand what is happening in Haiti right now. As much as I read, watch, hear about all that is going on, I still cannot fathom that level of death, destruction, and despair. I want to help, in whatever {albeit small} ways I can. I wanted to compile a small list of places where you can donate money {which is what they say is truly needed...that and prayer.} I have heard from multiple sources that the biggest problem is that funds run out quickly; that many donations come in immediately following a tragedy and then they start to diminish. So it's important that we continue to give; that we continue to reach out and spread the word. I encourage you to give in whatever ways you can, whether it's a large or small monetary donation, support for those who have lost someone, a craft donation to Craft Hope, or a simple prayer; it is all needed and every bit of it helps.




You may be overwhelmed with all the choices and not sure where best to give. All I can tell you is that each part of the relief effort is vital. So listen to your heart and see which facet of this disaster is affecting you the most. Is it the orphaned children, is it the lack of food, lack of medical care, the re-building...then give based upon what need that you feel most attached to. I encourage you also to make this a family effort. Discuss with your children what has happened and why our help is important. God hears the prayers of the little ones as well!

Please reach out to your own friends and blog readers as well. Feel free to link here or use the links I've provided to assemble your own list. Peace.

4 comments:

barbara January 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

such a tradgedy and i have yet to wrap my head around it. seeing the orphaned children on the news broke my heart. thanks for the links... i will check them out and find one that works for me :)

Corinne Cunningham January 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Thank you for compiling this list, and for your words. I'm still struggling with how to help, besides the all important prayers.

nic [luzia pimpinella] January 19, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

i think we all can't imagine what people are going through right now... my toughts are with the people in haiti too.

it's just a little we can do, but we can do and every euro/dollar counts. i just sold two of my art dolls on the blog and donated the proceeds...

it's good to remind people that they can help. albeit small.

nic

Nell January 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

Fabulous post. You're a woman after my own heart.

Nell