Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Makings of a Still Life...

I love taking pictures. The art has given me an areana in which I can compose and create work depicting life as I see it. It's a very freeing and exhilerating feeling to be able to express what I internalize on a daily basis. All the feelings, senses, impulses, beauty...photography allows me to capture all of that in ways which I can then show the world saying "see, this is how it looks to me!" It's really beautiful!



One of my favorite photographic genres is still lifes. For me, the inspiration begins with one element...maybe two. Before long, I find these elements asking for another. And then together, they start to tell a story. The objects that I am photographing are no longer 'things', they become evidence of a life, a day, a moment.

Often, the elements will ask for even more...and then different combinations of those elements will emerge. I often find something I never even knew I was looking for. The story becomes so clear in my head that I know how to tell it without much thought. My only job is to use the elements, the light, and my camera to re-tell the story the way it is playing in my mind.

So I use the light and my camera to set the mood and the feeling. I direct the focus of the viewer to the details that will enhance and guide the story. If my work is done well, no words will be needed; the story will have unfolded within this collection of elements, light, color, and detail.

I wanted to take a moment to let you know that one of my photos has been selected to appear in the upcoming issue of Somerset Life!

I am so honored to be featured in such a gorgeous magazine...so full of beautiful inspiration!


My photograph is featured in the magazine's popular 'Miscellany' section.





"An attitude of gratitude brings you many opportunities." ~author unknown


ps...Don't forget to enter to win Barb's awesome give aways...you have until tomorrow night to leave a comment!

15 comments:

barbara March 25, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

WoW!!! congrats meg!!! you must be so thrilled! you're on a roll :))

Sandra March 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

A big congrats to you! Your still life work is beautiful.

Beth Simmons March 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Maegan, you are a master at telling stories with beautiful photos. I adore every single one of these. Wow. And now I think I need to go pack for a vaca to the beach! And congratulations on your image being in the magazine. That's just super exciting.

Magnolia Handspun March 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

These are beautiful Magean...truly tell a story. I love your imagination.
I also want to congratulate on your well deserved publication...how fun is that?!

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia March 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

gorgeous photos, meg. and congrats on the featured photo!! i am not familiar with that magazine, but it totally looks like something i need to get on board with!

i am going to email you back today, i promise. ;) xoxo

Cassie March 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

Featured again! That's so exciting! I cannot wait to pick up my copy!

HeidiH March 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

Oh Maegan, that's awesome!!! Congrats!!!

janine March 25, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

Wow! How cool to have such an amazing photograph selected. I only wish they sold all the Somerset magazines more readily in the UK - it looks like an inspirational read. I love the way you describe your relationship with your camera, especially how your images show the rest of the world how you see things. That's exactly how it is for me too. Love this post!!

Corinne Cunningham March 25, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

Congratulations!!! :)

And those starfish are gorgeous (as are the photos)... I keep seeing them around, and think they're completely necessary in every room.

Beverly March 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

Congrats! I love all of their magazines! How exciting for you. I love when I read them and feel like I know some one from a blog or flickr, so exciting. Your photos have made me want some vintage luggage and I have been on the hunt but have found none so far. I will find some, I know I will!

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 March 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM  

In another magazine? Wow! look at you : )That's awesome Maegan...now I'm going to have to run out and get it this weekend! I love an excuse to buy a new magazine. Love your pictures and the story they tell, you are so good at still lifes...and now I really want to go on vacation!

kk March 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

congrats!! so exciting.....

Karina March 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

Congrats - your photographic work is so deserving. Fantastic job.

Laurie March 27, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

Congrats Maegan on the page in the magazine.. that's wonderful!! This magazine is truly one of my favorites but unfortunately both the book stores I frequent do not carry it any longer..

Love your words on taking still lifes.. its something I would like to work on..

lovely photos as well.. xo

Neuroknitter April 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

Congratulations!! Beautiful still life series! :)