Friday, March 26, 2010

Realities & Blessings {& Ranunculus}...


Oh my how I have grown to love this little Friday post! I feel so much like it allows me to look back a my week and leave my emotional baggage at the proverbial doorstep before entering the weekend. It's refreshing and it really puts me in a good place as far as perspective and direction.

So, here we go again...because even when things aren't wonderful, they still kind of are...and I thought I'd share some pictures of these beautiful yellow Ranunculus that I was lucky enough to find at the grocery store yesterday!


Reality: I recently invested some of my shop liquidation money into a new macro lens for my camera. For those of you not familiar with photography terms, a macro lens allows you to get very close to your subject and take those extremely close-up detailed shots. As I am a student, self-teaching and guiding my way through this big and vast world of photography, this new lens presented this whole new world of things to learn. I felt like a total newbie all over again with this new lens, fumbling my way through shots and settings...to say that this period was uncomfortable would be a dramatic understatement. I felt frustrated and multiple times I quit on myself and threw my old lens back on my camera just to feel at home again.
Blessing: This experience with the new lens, along with all its uncomfortable growth, forced me to throw myself into photography textbooks and online learning tools...something which I had wanting to be doing anyway but hadn't taken the time to do. I moved past my comfort zone, learned more about the technical aspects of photography, and am finding my groove with my new lens. This experience, that was so hard and frustrating at first, has taken me to the next level and helped me to become better. Amen to that!


Reality: Maya is cutting three teeth simultaneously; one of her top front ones and her two top eye teeth. Anyone who has kiddos knows that those eye teeth are buggers! She is not sleeping well, totally clingy, fussy at all times, and using me as a teether sometimes as she's nursing {ouch!}. I am tired and worn out and I've gotten nothing done this week as a result.
Blessing: I'm typically a big broken record when it comes to talking about how fast time goes by and how quickly the babies grow up. I'll be darned if I'm going to sit here and not find it to be a blessing that Maya has wanted some extra cuddles and love this week. Very soon, this whole teething business will be a vague memory and Maya will know that I am here for her in good times and bad.


Reality: I want a day off. Like bad. Like a whole day; not a couple hours or an evening...A WHOLE DAY. I have a ton of personal stuff to get done like some orders to get out, some emails to answer, some creative work I've been dying to do, some non-kid music to listen to, some bubble baths to take and legs to shave...you know, the stuff that isn't absolutely necessary so it gets shoved aside. Mostly, I would just like some time to think...to actually complete a mental thought or two. To get things sorted and situated and thought out in my own mind. And the real reality here is that it's not going to happen. Not a couple hours, not an evening, and most certainly not a whole day.
Blessing: {I had to work at this one, friends...really. Because I want this so bad I could literally cry} There was a time in my life, a very lonely time, when I had loads of time and not a lot of people in my life to spend it with. I would not trade my crazy life and my fuzzy head for that any day...even if it meant a whole day off!


Reality: I'd like to take some 4 year portraits of Layla {her birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks}. However, portraits make me all kinds of nervous. They are not my strong suit and I end up getting nervous and edgy and sometimes they go really badly with my kids. Also, as of late, Layla hasn't been the most willing of subjects.
Blessing: Practice makes perfect. In fact, the best way to get better at something is to do it often. And what better way to practice than on my own beautiful children. {easy to say, but I will seriously have to keep repeating this thought in my own head...} Plus, this little session will give me some time to fuss over Layla and help me to be patient and work with her, together utilizing our strengths and working around our weaknesses...skills that will help us not only to get good portraits, but to build a good foundation for our future relationship.


So, there you have it, another week's worth of Realities & Blessings. I am super excited that so many of you have decided to join in! Please link back here and feel free to leave your link in the comments of this post!

Happy Friday, dear friends!

ps...You have until midnight tonight to enter to win one of Barb's beautiful photographic prints or necklace...


Oh, and just because I hate to leave these out...






"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin

19 comments:

kk March 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

yellow ranunculus are the best....so cheery and filled with warm spring feelings.love all the new images. :) gorgeous!

Beth Simmons March 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

I really look forward to your realities and blessing posts. This one was great to read and the images are just wonderful!!!

Johnna Riddell March 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

I just want to wrap you in the biggest hug I've got in me today...

I loved your R&B's... and your photos. I always do, you have such a way about you, honest and sincere.

t does wool March 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

beautiful comparisons you make maegan...wonderful images and post~~

janine March 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

I am really loving these reality and blessing posts, and I am sure they are part of the reason I am working on looking for the good in the midst of the ordinary right now. Thank you for that. As for unwilling kid subjects who are genetically linked to you, I would say, hold tight and they eventually come back. It may take a couple of years, but eventually the pull of the camera is just too much to withstand! Have a great weekend :)

Corinne Cunningham March 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

That day off.. I've cried over that one - so thank you for including it, and the blessing that comes with it.

Mary March 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

Oh how I remember those days when my kids were little, and I felt totally overwhelmed! I hope you get that day off soon. :)

Your images are beautifully composed and processed! And thanks for the reminder to seek the good in everything -- I really needed that today. :)

Anonymous March 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Thank you for doing this, I love these posts.

Micheline March 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

I loved this post. It was the perfect mix of a bit of everything.

Reminiscent: Oh, how I remember those days of aching for some time to myself.

Inspiring: Seeing the beautiful photographs and reading about the learning curve (which totally paid off) made me want to run out and replace my rotten little camera.

Thought Provoking: It reminded me of my favourite quote (by who, I have no idea). The days that are the hardest are the days we learn the most.

Have a great weekend.

Kris's Kaptured Moments March 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

Wow, first of all these images are gorgeous. the bright yellow just makes me smile.
I totally agree with you about the day off, yet wanting to spend every minute with the kids.
Getting shots of the kids can be a blessing and a time of torture.:) However, as you said,practice makes perfect.keep shooting!!!
Maegan, I really look forward to reading your blog and seeing your beautiful images..Thank you so much.

Jamie March 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

I love your weekly R&B post - it helps me think back to my week as well.

full of bliss March 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM  

Such a beautiful post, Maegan. Your words and images are both so beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for reminding us to take time for the blessings.
~Rebekah

Kim Klassen March 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM  

your reality and blessings posting is programmed in my blackberry!! :)

i love it so much...
it's been a busy day, so the reminder would pop up and i would snooze it for 30 minutes. i've been doing that since 2:00 this afternoon.
and as i look down on my clock i realize it's now saturday morning.

so everytime i snoozed it... i thought of you... could you feel the vibe? :)

i didn't want to rush thru it.

so glad i made it here before bed.

the images and words... ADORE.

i so appreciate how you cherish the little years, instead of wishing them away!!

sigh...♥ kim

Laurie March 27, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

Maegan I love reading these weekly posts.. its nice to have a balance and to remember to see and more importantly appreciate them... the realities and the blessings.. I really would love to start this project as well.. I am now putting a post it note on my computer to remind myself.. I think now more then ever would be a great time to do this..

also.. your photos always make me smile.. :-)
xo

Kellie Hatcher March 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

I love this, Maegan. You have a true gift in writing and I will be coming here often to be reminded of the things I need to be grateful for. ps - i can't believe I haven't thanked you yet for the soap stuff...of course, I am in love with all of it.

christina March 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

omgoodness! it's so beautiful here.
xo

Anne Marie March 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

These photos are beautiful. Very beautiful. I love them.

Cassie March 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

Well what beautiful flowers!

I participated this week.. even though it's late.. it still counts that I did it right? It was easier then I thought it would be.

http://fearlessdarling.blogspot.com/2010/03/realities-and-blessings.html

feather March 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

i came over here today from lucky 13 and i fell in love with your blog. i particularly love this friday ritual of realities and blessings. so important, recognizing the blessings we have within the crazy, fuzzy lives we lead. i loved what you said about wanting a day off, but the trade off of going back to your lonlier days...well, i totally get it.
i'll be following you around now.