Sunday, July 19, 2009

And Just Like That It Was Naked...


Wow. There's been quite a flurry of activity going on in my little corner of the world {or very little, depending on how you see it}. We did have a lovely little day trip to Baltimore's Inner Harbor including a really fun visit to the National Aquarium. The day was refreshing, rejuvenating, much needed, well worth the long drive, super fun, educational, entertaining...yeah, okay, you get it, I know. They have a very cool jellyfish exhibit going on this summer at the aquarium. Those are some very cool {yet slightly creepy} little animals. And the whole time we were looking at them I could not stop thinking about the movie Seven Pounds which is, by the way, a great movie. Anywho....our day ended with dinner outside by the water, on a Wednesday, in the middle of a work week, followed by a long ride home. {note to self: the kids will NOT just sleep in the car on ANY ride home}
Then the next day I got the flu. A big, bad, ugly, stomachy buggy flu which I'm just really recovering from today/Sunday/three full days later. So, I've pretty much spent my weekend in bed. And may I just say that recovery does not come quickly to someone who's body is simultaneously making food for another little person {who just so happens to be teething and nursing constantly}. THANK GOODNESS I have an amazing husband!
We had some other exciting/crazy things going on around here but they concern the personal lives of others who may or may not enjoy the idea of their dailies floating around the www for all to hear about so I'll leave those tid-bits out for now. I will only say that there is never a dull moment around here.
BUT...my days of bed rest did bring some clarity on some personal matters that were weighing on me pretty heartily. So there is a silver lining to that story. Oh, and "what's any of this have to do with the title of this post" you ask? Well, over the years, the girls have mis-pronounced a number of words. I enjoy these cute utterances far too much to correct them but eventually, much to my speech therapist mother's amazement, they correct themselves and Brent and I get to sit around remembering how cute it was when they said "seeping booty" and "deeper". Well, I must have been out of my mind the other night when corrected my eldest's long time mis-pronunciation of the word naked. {She preferred to say maked} And then, just like that, as if I had stolen the last tiny bit of babyness right from her, it was naked. The end. Just like that. So, to answer your question, it had absolutely nothing to do with the actual content of this post but I thought it was a better title than "I've been losing my lunch."
I hope your weekend was healthier than mine!

5 comments:

Linda July 19, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

Aww, I love those little kid-isms. I used to teach nursery school and we would sing "You're a Grand Old Flag." One of my students always sang, proudly and at the top of his voice, "You're a Gand Old Fag."

I'll never forget him. He probably talks normally now.

Jeanne Oliver July 20, 2009 at 2:38 AM  

I am laughing at Linda's comment...so funny! Isn't it sad to see those sweet things end?

Hope | Paper Relics July 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

oh I have been meaning to check out the Aquarium in inner harbor - I am so close and never go!

Anonymous July 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

I'm glad you are on the mend, how miserable to be sick :(

Was there a touching tank at the museum? Those are my favorite, I love to touch the sea creatures.

Kathleen July 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Ugh - it's miserable to be sick and even worse to be sick and nursing. I'm glad you're feeling better!
Do you have any audio recordings of your girls? We've been in the habit of giving the grandparents those talking picture frames for Christmas, and they take my breath away every time I listen. I know we can't really capture their babyhood, but still...