Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dear Fall...


I'm writing to ask that you stick around a bit longer this year. I know what with the snow we had last week and the thunderstorm we had yesterday that you're ready to call the whole thing off.

But if you could just reconsider, then we could have more days together like today. You know, where you're all glorious and majestic and I'm drinking up your golden sunshine in big gulps as if I need it more than the air. Which, now that we've brought it up, is soft and feels like the layer my skin is missing.

I know that it's been really windy and it's getting hard to hold all those beautifully colored leaves. I understand you've had to let go of quite a few. But if you could just try and hold on to those you have left then I could have a little more time to be warmed by their rich colors contrasting against your bright blue sky. Like today, when I could have stayed under the yellow sun-filled canopy of that maple tree forever. The big bowing branches filled with brightness made me feel safe and happy and loved.
I want to feel like it's enough. Like having today will sustain me through what could be a long and dark winter. I took pictures and I painted your colors while the inspiration of your vibrancy was fresh in my mind. But I know that the second you're gone I will miss you. I know that no matter how I try to savor your memory it will never bring the warmth and happiness that your actual presence does. So please, fall {or do you prefer autumn?}, stay with me just a bit longer. We've not yet even had Halloween.
Love,
Me

3 comments:

Deb October 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

Amen.

Fall has left us here in northern Michigan...I'm missing her so very much. It seems like it will be forever until I see her again.

Hopefully she'll spend a bit more time with you.

Kathleen October 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

ps. Me too.

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 October 27, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

beautiful pictures! we are enjoying every tiny little minute of Fall here in Illinois as well....love Fall!