Saturday, November 21, 2009

Weekend Crafting...

Yarn Ball & Ornament Wreath


Christmas is by far my most creative time. It's usually the only time of year that I really get into crafts. This year I found a tutorial for these yarn ball wreaths that I had seen at Starbucks last year during the holidays. My personal affections for yarn balls and ornaments had me swooning and the project looked to be at or around my skill level {which is pretty basic} so off to Michael's I went. So, if you are the crafty type and would like one of these pretty little numbers for your very own, here is a little step-by-step for you...

Materials Needed:

Yarn {you may use one color or 14, whatever your personal preference}

Foam Balls in two different sizes {In my wreath, I used 14 big balls and 11 small...you could use less or more depending on your wreath size and/or preference}

Wreath Form {I used a 18in. wire form, you could use smaller if you'd like}

Ornaments {I used a stash of vintage ornaments that were a variety of sizes. You could certainly use just one size or just one color or a variety of each...whatever suits your fancy. My wreath took 14 big-ish and 14 small-ish ornaments.}

Glue Gun with plenty of glue sticks


Step 1:

Make your yarn balls by wrapping yarn around the foam ball, varying your angles and directions, until all the white is covered. You can either just tuck the tail in at the end or put a little dab of craft glue to secure it. I just tucked and they stayed just fine. Now, just to warn you...you might find these yarn balls to be the most beautiful things you've ever seen. Go ahead and take a few days to admire them, photograph them, let the baby play with them...whatever you'd like.

Step 2:

Cover your work area with freezer paper or wrapping paper...something that the hot glue won't stick to.

Step 3:

Lay out your large yarn balls, evenly spaced onto your wreath form. Using your hot glue gun, glue the balls to the form one by one.


Step 4:

Gather your smaller yarn balls and your ornaments and start hot gluing them in and around your large yarn balls. {I must tell you that this step intimidated me greatly...especially since I was using my very loved vintage ornaments. But I took a deep breath and just let loose. It was very therapeutic.} Vary your patterns and colors all around while building your wreath up and out {and in}. I found it helpful to glue the pieces to the big yarn balls first and then to the other smaller pieces that it was touching as a way to anchor it all together. I always held thing in places for about ten seconds for the glue to set a bit before moving on. Stick some here and there. You can always lift the wreath up to see where you might need some additional pieces. I used some large ornaments and {I think} a large yarn ball as add on pieces and I think they added some nice texture and dimension to the wreath. But work to your pleasing.


Step 5:

Put on a cute scarf & sweater and have someone take your picture holding your wreath. Then{here is the very important part} upload your picture to Flickr or your blog and send me the link!!!! I would love to see your creations!

Happy Crafting!!!

8 comments:

Laura Marie November 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

hi there! i just wanted to let you know that i've been a fan of your photography for quite some time & i think you should know that your work is both inspirational and touching :) i also wanted to ask your permission to use your beautiful photo as my blog header: http://www.lauramariegiven.blogspot.com - - i've added credit to the bottom of the blog itself with a link to your flickr page - please let me know if this is alright - thank you!

Leah November 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Thanks for posting. Love it and Im off to buy some foam balls. So beautiful.

Anonymous November 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristi November 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

Maegan,

Love that you've done a tutorial of the wreath! I am still working on mine...you are quick!

Karina November 22, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Thank Goodness - I was so relieved to find out you used foam balls to make the yarn balls in this beautiful wreath. Fantastic tutorial - I especially love how your cutie outfit coordinates with the wreath for the final pic - now that's the sign of a true artist. Love it!

Jamie November 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

I love this! Its beautiful and yet easy enough I think I could do it.

Kathleen November 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

Oh, we will definitely try this one out!
I love the new header; good luck with the open house; Happy Thanksgiving!

Cora December 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

So so cute...I love it! I just don't think I could bear glueing down my vintage ornaments! No way! They are my favorite!

Beautiful ideas here!