Wednesday, December 23, 2009

TIme To Let Go...



There was so much else I wanted to say before Christmas, before now, before this Christmas Eve eve. Last minute gifts, crafts, thoughts on what was to become of me after all the shiny & brights were back in their boxes. But here we are. And it's Christmas Eve eve. And I'm like a little kid who's not yet ready to leave the party even though I'm exhausted and it's very much time. But, but...I still want to wrap this, bake that, write about this, photograph that...And what about my December scrapbook...it's barely just begun. Do you think I need one more gift for this person? We didn't even bake gingerbread men or or or...


But you know what? It's time to let go. To let this be it. To be okay with what has been done. To let go of what has not. It's time. Because there will always be things not done. But these next two days, well, they will be priceless and perfect; not for the bounty of activity and excess that they will bring, but for the simple moments and meaning that they contain. This is it. Stop. Breathe. Remember the reason for it all and how simple and humble of a birthday it was for Someone so amazingly big. There were no gingerbread cookies or sparkly bows or marshmallows for the cocoa. It was simple, and pure, and so very special.


And that, right there, is what I want in my home and in my family. Not the crazy, excessive, stressful, maddening, ludicrousness. It's hard to remember that, though. When everyone else {it seems} is doing the crazy dance, it's hard not to feel like you need to join in. But I'm choosing differently.


So I'm stopping. Right. Now. What's done is done. And I'm going to try {really hard} to be okay with that.
I hope that you ALL have a lovely holiday with your families. I hope that your moments are brimming with meaning and magic and that the best gifts you receive are not wrapped!
xo


2 comments:

Jamie December 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

I hope you have a joyful, restful holiday with your family.

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 December 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Good for you Maegan! And it's true, there is always that one more thing we could do but then you just have to know when to walk away...and sometimes it's hard! : )
Wishing you and your beautiful little family a wonderful Christmas! Have fun!