Monday, January 25, 2010

Quiet, Yet Full...


...There's been a lot of that around here lately; quiet but full moments. And, although I feel not much like myself, I'm feeling okay with it. I'm usually full of motion and motivation, but this weekend I was not. My body resisted anything other than slowness. And even though it went against my usual grain, it still felt good.
Typically weekends are filled with chores and projects, baking and visiting. But honestly there was very little of that here. There was a lot of knitting, relaxing, reading, snuggling, a lot of nothing, and, more than anything, there was quiet. I didn't feel compelled to fill each moment with activity and words. And, although I felt I was shirking some of my motherly duties, it still felt really nice.
So here we are on Monday and my body is slow to get back in the groove. But I'm coming around. And as I enter this new week, I'm going to try and keep with me the inner calm that I felt this weekend. And hopefully the voice that had been telling me that it was okay to slow down will stick around for a while. Because although mellow isn't the characteristic I typically wear, it feels really nice on!

8 comments:

Beth Simmons January 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

This is a beautiful image and I loved reading this post. As for this weekend, good for you! As a mother of two very grown children, let me tell you, these are the weekends you will remember and cherish. The ones where you just quietly enjoyed one another.

JennOvey January 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

A lot of time it's in the quiet moments that you really find yourself, find parts of your mind that have wandered off into hibernation and really get to enjoy life. I hope you'll have more 'slow' weekends to come.

barbara January 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

you have such a wonderful way with words... you should write my Month of Mornings book... if i ever make one :) glad you had a nice calming weekend. Mine was filled with chaos!

Jamie January 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

Sometimes those quiet moments are the ones just the thing we need to prepare for that next leap of craziness, so enjoy.

kk January 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

I think everyone needs those quiet moments to get centered, get connected, to really figure out what's really going on. I think it's so easy to get caught up in the day to day routine of life, that we forget that it's alright to sit back and just enjoy life. Knitting, relaxing and staying cozy sounds perfect.

Corinne Cunningham January 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

Sounds like you had just about the perfect weekend in my book! :)

Johnna Riddell January 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

I love it, when you can just be... I am so glad your weekend was nice and I hope it continues :)

have a great week!

Nell January 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Your posts and pictures always make me feel something so deeply.

Nell