Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blizzard...


Mmmm...we finally got the snowfall I'd been wishing very very hard for! {clearly I only feel this way about snow because I don't have to drive in it and I have a very nice husband who willingly goes out to clear our driveway and such...} Anywho...about mid-blizzard, before it got to deep to walk in, I bundled up Maya, strapped her in the Baby Bjorn and headed out to try and capture the beautiful winter wonderland all around me.



When it's snowing outside, I am like a kid on Christmas. I can barely contain myself until I get through with morning obligations {such as breakfast} before I can get out there. There is almost a tangible magic going on in a snow storm; where time is suspended and thus the trees just hold the snow in their arms. It's absolutely gorgeous and if you're not quick, you'll miss it.

The quiet in a snow storm is heavy; like a big winter blanket surrounding you. It's hard to feel lonely out there. It's hard to even think of much else besides how absolutely stunning the world looks all dressed in white!



My favorite part of a snow storm is before everything gets plowed and cleared away; before the beauty gets pushed aside for reality. It always makes me sad to see snow being shoveled. I wish we would all just stay home until it melted!


At least I have my camera: my special box which holds my most special memories and feelings. So that when the storm has moved passed, the world has resumed it's routine, and the trees have laid down their armfuls of snow, I can look back through my pictures and perhaps the world will stand still for just a moment longer.

Thank you for allowing me to share my magical blizzard with you!

6 comments:

Heidi ~ LaundryGirlPhotog February 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Oh Meagan, these photos are gorgeous! I really get this "The quiet in a snow storm is heavy; like a big winter blanket surrounding you". It's so peaceful and you write about it beautifully. I haven't gotten to see much snow this year so thank you for the walk.

P.S. I have the hardest time posting here, I get all kinds of errors, but I just keep trying until it works...I hope that doesn't mean you keep getting three (or more!) comments from me each time!

Emily Jeffords February 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

These photographs are so beautiful!!! I especially love the first photo. So peaceful and perfect.
Thanks for sharing these lovely scenes with us!

Jill February 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

Your pictures beautifully captured that storm. I was so thrilled to see it too. I read once that it's especially quiet when it snows because the falling snow absorbs the soundwaves. It would be quiet in the rain too, if the rain didn't make it's own sounds. Isn't nature staggeringly beautiful sometimes?

Cassie February 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

Absolutely beautiful photographs! I know exactly how you feel about when the snow gets plowed away. I hate making footprints in it.. I love it when it glitters in the sunlight.

You put this so well, thank you for sharing<3

Jamie February 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

I've spent the last couple of days cursing the snow for messing up my life. Your photos remind me why I like it, for it simple beauty and the peace that it can bring. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole February 12, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

You made the blizzard beautiful! I'm glad I came across this and found your blog ( which is also beautiful btw!) I am in the Pittsburgh area and with all the troubles the blizzard brought , I had forgotten just what a beautiful thing God created. Thank you for reminding me!