Friday, February 12, 2010

Whatever You Are Doing Is The Most Beautiful Thing...



I adore Yogi tea for many reasons. I enjoy the taste, I believe in it's benefits, and I am so inspired by the zen quotes on the tags. This particular tag touched me deeply the other day. And ever since I read it, it has been on my heart and mind in very profound ways. I have spent quite a bit of time ruminating {don't you love that word} on all the different ways this quote so aptly applies in my life. It seems to fill the vast void of "what ifs" and "shoulds" and puts peace, calm, and contentment in their place.

I call upon this quote when I'm on the floor playing blocks with my kids rather than cleaning the bathrooms. And when I'm making gifts for my husband for his birthday rather than spending money we don't have on things we don't need, I think about this quote. And when I do I can see that, yes, this is more beautiful. And when I think about how others have chosen different paths in life, pursuing careers instead of staying home with children, I can see that for me, yes, this is more beautiful.



But I also reflect on these words in some more specific ways. When I think about the timing of life and it's opportunities, when I think about my personal parenting style, when I think my relationship with others, and most often when I'm comparing these things with other people; I have found myself reflecting on this quote and suddenly being okay with things, just as they are. Because how can you argue with such a beautiful truth: "whatever you are doing is the most beautiful thing."


I think this quote's poignancy and power come from it's ability to recognize us all as independently unique and beautiful. And that it is our uniqueness, filled with our differences, strengths, and flaws, that makes us each so beautiful. So, given that we are choosing our actions from our most authentic core, how can our choices not be the most beautiful thing? So in in it's essence, this quote both reinforces the need to act and live authentically and reassures us that it will be beautiful. And what is more empowering than feeling as if the real you, the most authentic version of you, is beautiful.


Someday, I will find a way to hang this on my wall. But until then, these words are engraved on my heart and repeating in my head daily:

"Whatever you are doing is the most beautiful thing."



More Yogi inspiration from Flickr. Links to these images are here.

12 comments:

Kathleen February 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

Oh, yes. I think I'd like a pillow with that quote cross-stiched on.. I'd put it right next to the one I'm imagining that says "Be patient. Be present. Be productive."

bright and blithe February 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

So beautiful, poignant, and timely. Thank you for sharing this, Maegan. It is certainly resonating with my own thoughts today.

Beth Simmons February 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

Maegan, this post is so very touching to me. I'm so glad that you are able to know right now, while your children are still little, that what you are doing is a wonderful beautiful thing. I'm old and a grandmother now, but this is how I lived my life. A sahm and I ask my children, who are now grown, do they wish they had things instead of family time. They definitely are glad I gave them myself. And now my daughter is doing the same. Good for you and thanks for sharing this beautiful insight!
Beth

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 February 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

I love this. I am not a huge tea drinker but I think I am going to have start just so I can read these little quotes. : ) It's so interesting to me that through online friends, both through blogs and flickr, I have read/heard so many messages from others that I really needed to hear this week. Thank you!

Unknown February 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

i am drinking some yogi right now as i read your blog. i heart my yogi xoxo

Cassie February 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

I have never heard that quote before. I'm glad I have now. Thank you <3

Corinne Cunningham February 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

I just added Yogi tea to my grocery list...
That quote has me in tears. So lovely
(and I LOVED your piece in the magazine!!)

Hyacynth February 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

I am repeating this as I rock my slumbering, teething five month old instead of preparing dinner. And every time I repeat it, I find a little more beauty in the scene. Thanks :)

Jamie February 12, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

I have a bad habit of wishing my life away - saying things will be perfect when....

Thanks for reminding me that today in its in perfect state is the very place I want to be.

Nicole February 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

Love the quote , the mug ,the photo, and the blog!

Kim Klassen February 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

hi maegen,
so happy to have found my way here... i wanted to congratulate you again on your article in my favorite magazine.. "artful blogging"... and again can i just say your tea image is beyond amazing...
this post is extremely moving.. thank you!

what a beautiful "home" you have here... i look forward to following you. :)

xxo, kim

molly March 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

This reminds me of another favorite of mine, "wherever you go, there you are", but more in the moment. Lovely, thank you.