Monday, March 8, 2010

A Time For Change...

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I will be closing my little soap shop for a time. At this juncture, I’m really unsure whether it will be a “closing of the doors” or a “putting on the shelf for a while” , but what I do know is that after trying to make it fit into my busy life as a wife and mom to three, that it simply does not. I have attempted to shrink down, cut back, hire help, etc…but at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is that there was just too much. From invention, to production, to packaging, to marketing, to selling and distributing…there simply is not enough of me there for the kind of business I want Madeline Bea Soap Co. to be.


I am always stressing the need to live your most authentic life. And my most authentic life most certainly involves my family coming first. With an active baby, an inquisitive preschooler, and an involved Kindergartner, our lives just keep getting busier and my kids are needing more and more of me. And I refuse to put my husband on the back burner while I spend our free nights and weekends working. I will always be a creative person and I will continue to foster my creativity in ways outside of coloring with my kiddos…but they will have to happen in less time consuming, all encompassing ways.

Yes, I have poured a lot of me into this business over the last three plus years and I have gotten so much from it. The experience I’ve received with regards to starting and growing a business has been invaluable and I’m positive that I will always be a business owner in some sense. I have learned so much about business, yes, but also about myself. I’ve learned that anything is a possibility and I’ve learned what is important to me, and what is not. Will I miss this? Absolutely! I loved this job and this business so very much. But I will also miss you, my customers, and our regular interactions. I’ve enjoyed meeting you and working with you over the past few years.

So, as I begin to wrap up business and tie loose ends, I’ve marked down every single item in the store

Soaps…$3.50

8 oz. Scrubs…$6.50

4 oz. Scrubs…$4.00

Salves…$8.00

Facial Cleanser & Toner…$9.00


Facial Serum…$10.00

Lip Balm…Buy One, Get One Free!



Yes, prices will eventually get lower as an effort to move my entire inventory. However, stock is limited in almost every item. So if you have your eye on something, snag it up! I will not be making more. I will also be putting some packaging items in the shop as well such as ribbon, tulle, and organza bags so if you are planning any sort of showers or parties, you can snag up some great supplies at near wholesale costs!


I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and patronage over the years. This was an incredibly hard decision to finally come to, but I'm 100% sure that it is the right one for me right now. I will, however, continue to blog about my life and my creative journeys here at Life Set To Words!

18 comments:

PhotoPuddle March 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

It's a shame about your shop but it sounds like you are making the best decision for you and your family.
I am pleased you are keeping your blog going though as I love your photographs and enjoy reading your posts.

Kathleen March 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

Congratulations, Maegan. It's so hard to work through these decisions, to figure out where the right balance is, but when you hit it, you know. And the discount is a nice perk for us - I just placed an order!

Corinne Cunningham March 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

What a decision! I will head over later and try to help you clear your shop :)

barbara March 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

i had a feeling :( i can totally relate to the amounting stress you must've been feeling these past few months and you need to do what's best for you and your family. i will surely miss your lovely scented soaps and your beautiful packaging. :) so glad i had the chance to try your products :) love the photo btw :)

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 March 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

Good for you for making this hard decision and realizing what is best for you and your family. I'm sure it was not easy but you are making the right choice if it is coming from your heart! XO!

kristinak March 8, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Sometimes the hardest decisions turn out to be the best ones.
Good luck....
I just placed an order. ;)

Karina March 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

I have often wondered how you manage it all. I can't imagine how difficult this decision must have been, but yet again, you can see the positive side and be thankful for the joys this business has brought over the years. I better get an order in befor it's too late.

t does wool March 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

hard decision...but sometimes choices must be made for the best~~

Jenny March 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Take it from someone who is now 50 with children aged from 20 to 12, you will have time for all this again later if you want it. A successful home business and a young family is a difficult balancing act and something has to lose out. You have made the right decision. There are so many ways to be creative when you are also caring for your family and, creating just for you or for your family without the commercial element is a whole different thing. Such a great way to learn so much about your true self.

Kim Klassen March 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

oh all the best to you maegan...
who knows what's around the corner.

plus, you will never regret spending more time with your family... ever.... :)

today's image is truly lovely....

all the bestest...to you... ♥ kim

Beth Simmons March 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

I'm sorry you've had to come to this hard decision. You obviously have your family's needs in first place and that will always reap great rewards. I'm glad you haven't decided to permanently close the doors of your business so you can go back to it as your family schedules change, if you choose too. I so admire you as a young mother and wife.

Jade Sheldon March 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

I am proud of you for coming to terms with such a hard decision. You are an amazing woman and your kids are so lucky to have you: sadly, not everyone would give up business ventures for their children.

Good luck with everything: you and your family deserve every happiness :)

Mindy March 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

i'm wishing you every happiness on this next part of your journey. the juggling is such a challange which i can totally relate to. embracing your truth and what is in your heart is so important, so bravo to you for going in that direction! everything else will fall in to place. xo

Cassie March 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

It's sad to hear that you have to close up your shop.. but like many others I'm glad you'll continue on your blog.

My prayers are with you as you go through all of this.

Jill March 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

Sorry to see you go. Oh, the pulls of small children (even not so small). Nice bonus for your fans though -- I just placed a big order. My son has eczema and I'm always looking for gentle, all natural products and I'm going to pass the lip balms to my friend who just started chemo. I hope it feels liberating.

casual friday every day March 11, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

I understand. I'm in business for myself, too, and had to scale back a lot in the recent years. I basically tore apart my business model and created a new one that allowed more time with the kids. And I'm about to do a lot more changing up again!

Wishing you the best. I know that it will all work out and now you'll have more time for those girls and your photography {that i love so much!}.

Nell

Kristen March 12, 2010 at 1:11 AM  

'Tis an inner battle I've often tiptoed around myself, dear. Here's to happiness, and the new adventures that await you!

Nicole March 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

hard decision , i'm sure! i'm going to check out your shop :)

p.s. your pictures are so dreamy!