Monday, April 26, 2010

Realities & Blessings {On A Monday}...

I really would have just skipped a week of R&B...really. Because I'm trying to let go a little...of things that aren't necessary. But trust me when I tell you that this practice is 100% necessary today. I am in great need of finding some blessings today before I drown in a sea of self pity. And for goodness sake, if friends like Laurie {who is battling lymphoma} and Hyacynth {who just lost her father} can find blessings in their realities, then I can certainly find them in mine.

Reality: We have had some long weeks here as of late. Brent has worked a six day week, followed by a day of school out of town. It had been a hard couple of weeks for us, having little time to re-gain our footing.
Blessing: As a result of his long week, Brent had a day off through the week. We surprised Rayne at school and we all went for a picnic lunch in the park with lots of time to run loose on the playground. It was such a nice break from all the crazy business we'd been having. The weather was perfect and we had the whole place to ourselves. It is seriously my happy place right now and I'm including a lot of pictures from that day in this post!

Reality: We went away this weekend to visit my brother and his family. The dogs went to the kennel for the weekend and came home with stomach bugs. We were looking forward to a restful evening last night and a good night's sleep to make up for the total lack of sleep we all got on our trip. However, we spent almost the whole night {and now I am spending the entire day} cleaning up dog messes of every kind all over the place. Two dogs + two stomach bugs = a LOT of messes. On top of my already overwhelming to-do list, including tackling the laundry from last week that did not get done while we were away, I had to make a quick trip to the vet and am scrubbing floors like every 30 minutes.
Blessing: At least it is the two dogs and not the three kids with massive stomach bugs. A little floor scrubbing here and there cannot be as bad as complete bed and clothing changes every 30 minutes. Plus, it's a really good exercise in letting go. {see next reality}

Reality: I came here last week, completely overwhelmed with the duties of my life, asking for your organizational tips. I was really feeling lost, frustrated, unmotivated. By Friday evening of last week, I had completely worn myself out and was feeling physically ill as a result.
Blessing: I'm learning to slow down and let go...and really getting some good opportunities to practice that. You all gave me such amazing support and advice and what I really kept hearing over and over was "let it go, be with your kids, this is just a phase." And you are so right. You also gave me a lot of really great concrete tips which I'm going to take some time and think about to try to come up with some systems that might work well around here. You should really go back and read through the comments & suggestions. They're incredible. Thank you!

Reality: The girls have swim lessons three nights this week and three nights next week. Add that to the one night of dance class they have every week and, yes that's right, we have four nights of quick dinners and running out for the next two weeks. I love our lazy evenings and after dinner walks and I will miss that time for us all to relax and connect at the end of our days.
Blessing: On a day like today, I am super excited about the prospect of getting out for a bit this evening and getting a whole 45 minutes to read or write or {most importantly} to not clean up dog messes! These two weeks come at a really good time as I am in need of some mental space to figure some things out and develop some game plans. Sure, it's no leisurely me time at a coffee shop with some sort of sinfully expensive coffee drink in front of me...but hey, I'll take what I can get!

Wow...there really is power in positive thinking! When I started this post {which was, granted, two hours ago} I was really not doing well; there was yelling, ranting, going off on tangents, waiting rather impatiently for Brent to get home, etc... But I really am feeling much better. Thank you for allowing me an impromtu Monday edition of Realities & Blessings...I really needed it!

10 comments:

PhotoPuddle April 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

I am glad writing this has been so theraputic for you. Your Realities and Blessings are always so inspirational.

Amy April 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

It really is all about perspective isn't it. Glad we found each other - I enjoy coming here, your flickr stream and your comments at my place.

Jamie April 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

You are masterful - turning two sick dogs into a blessing - not sure I could do that.

This Heavenly Life April 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

Those are wonderful day-at-the-park pictures!

And I agree with Jamie, above: turning two sick dogs into a blessing? You are a truly amazing person! And I feel for ya :)

Teresa April 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

I'm so glad that writing has helped turn things around. The dog thing is pretty bad...I would have a hard time with that one :) Such great happy photo's of your park day.

Suzanne Jeanette April 27, 2010 at 1:12 AM  

I am new to your blog, found you in Artful Blogging, and I know I'll be reading more from you now!

It is wonderful how blogging can be like free therapy sometimes. Just blurting it all out, rereading what you've written, and realizing where the good and bad occupy your mind is perfect at straightening out life's perspective.

Kim Klassen April 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

oh wow, i followed your emotions right thru.....
i agree to just be with your kids... all that 'stuff' will be there waiting for you.....

i love your realities and blessings...so glad you decided to do a monday version.

love to you and your poor puppies. :(

xxo, kim

Anonymous April 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

I can so relate!

Stephanie April 28, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

I think we can all relate! Life is just messy isn't it? Not always in the "sick dog" way but nonetheless messy. I'm so glad you are feeling better.....it will ebb and flow this life, but the true things of value will always settle your heart.

janine April 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

Love these photos - looks like a fun day was had by all. And glad you're feeling like you'll 'get there' eventually. We all feel like that sometimes :)