Thursday, April 29, 2010

These Two...


Born only 20 months apart, they no choice but to be close sisters. Over the past four years, it has been my pleasure to watch them become the best of friends. They are simultaneously two peas in a pod and different side of the same coin. They're opposites attract and their similarities mesh. These two are a match made in heaven!


I have always thought that the very best thing I could have ever given them is each other. It is my hope that the joys are greater, the hurts are smaller, and the adventures grander because they are together.

They started swimming lessons on Monday. We chose the class because they could be together. And, as I was hoping, their first class was, yes, a little scary...but mostly just fun, funny, giggly, and full of adventure...because they were together.


But last night, I knew there would be trouble as I watched from across the pool as they inadvertently became separated. The scary parts became more like danger than adventure and Layla all but shut down. There was no giggling as I had seen on Monday. There were tears. And the victories were not celebrated by giggles and high fives...they were instead marked with only sighs of relief.


I watched closely, ready to go and rescue Layla if the distress became too great. But after a little while, I watched as Rayne used her intuition and communication skills to let someone know that she needed to be by her sister; that her sister NEEDED her! And once they were together again, the scary parts were less scary, the fun parts were more giggly, and the victories were more plentiful and more enthusiastically celebrated.


It is my very clear vision that this is how their lives together will be: that as long as they're close by, the world will seem less daunting and more exciting. The hurts will have less power and their victories will have more. Life will be seen as a big adventure, and not a series of tasks. Their bond will provide them with confidence, with courage, and with resilience. I have seen their bond form for the past four years. I have watched as they found a home in each other. As their mother, I will do everything I can to foster and nourish their bond so that it will continue to grow and strengthen. It is one of the best things I could ever give to them!

11 comments:

Johnna Riddell April 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

O...

Maegan...

This is beautiful... My Babies are close in age you know, and there are endless challenges to that, but the blessings... WOW.

You're story made me tear up a bit. I can just imagine the events passing by in slow motion, your heart even pounding, but the pride that must have swelled in you seeing Rayne tend to her sister, and their bond mend the fears.
Amazing.

Wonderful.

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 April 29, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Meg-
My sister and I are five years apart as my mom lost a child right in between us --and even with that large age difference we are the best of friends, very close. I love having a sister and I admit one reason I think I would like one more child is to possibly give Char a sister--or Wyatt a brother. :)
This is so sweet, wonderful pictures that really show their bond!

Melissa Haak April 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

This is so beautiful!

My kids are about 23 months apart, but they are boy/girl. Some days they are like that, so close, so loving he protecting her. Other days they fight like cats and dogs. The good thing is that when they are out int he big scary world I see the protecting far more than the fighting.

Kathryn Dyche April 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

Such a beautiful and well written post. Like the first commenter it also brought a tear to my eye.

My sister and I live in different countries but we do our best to stay close with hand written letters and phone calls. It's not the same as being there in person but I wouldn't have the joy of finding such beautifully written letter in my mailbox if things were different.

Jamie April 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

A sister really is one of God's greatest gifts.

Corinne Cunningham April 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

Oh the sweetness! Mine are 21 months apart, and even though ones a girl and ones a boy... I hope they eventually have a little bit of what you describe.
What an amazing bond!

raining sheep April 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Heh heh, my sons are just over 20 months apart and they are very close as well. It was hard those first few years where I felt like all I did was change diapers...but when they both grew up at just about the same time, it was nice :) Such gorgeous photos and the girls look SO happy. I love that.

Anonymous April 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

Maegan, you capture the precious moments in life soooo beautifully. Love these images! xo

janine May 2, 2010 at 4:39 AM  

It's so interesting watching sibling relationships grow. There's nearly 3 years between my boys and while there are times they would gladly thump each other, it's lovely to see how much they enjoy each other's company. Your girls look like they have so much fun together :)

Suzanne Jeanette May 3, 2010 at 1:05 AM  

Beautiful. Makes me want to have girls!

My boys are 20 months apart and I hope they will be the best of friends too...

Beth Simmons May 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Thank you for this beautiful post! This is really so very heart warming:)