Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hello, May...


It's going to be a good month! Can you ever just feel it sometimes? Already, the second day in, and I can feel a shift in the atmosphere. Good, positive things are coming...I just know.

Do you ever have one of those days where you realize how closely your reality resembles your wildest dreams? Today, as I sit here at my computer, my girls toddling about me...inside and outside...I'm having the deepest feelings of happiness and contentment. I'm realizing how there is absolutely nowhere else I'd rather be {physically or metaphorically}.

I'm working diligently on getting my prints in the shop today. I cannot tell you the feeling of accomplishment as I placed my items the "Art" category. I have wanted to sell something in that category for as long as I can remember. From a time when I was sure that "artist" meant "painter" or "illustrator" or something else that I did not possess the skills for. There were so many years that I resigned myself to suppressing my creative desires because I did not match my own description of "artist".

It wasn't until this big world opened up for me and I fell in love with my camera that I began to see things in a different light; that I began to explore all of the possibilities that lay in front of me. Artist is not a job; it's not a category on an aptitude test that implies some specific skill set. Artist is a way of life. To be an artist is to be able to look at this world, see something magical in it, and then be able to share that with the world.

Today, I accomplished a long time goal...I began selling my art. It feels huge...so monumental. It was a goal that seemed too huge to even work towards at one time, and then a goal that felt to intimidating to tackle. Persistence and patience have won today...as have I.

And the fact that all this has happened amidst my being home to raise my children and watch them grow...well, words cannot even begin to describe my gratitude for my blessings! Five years ago, I was working full time in a stressful, non-family friendly work environment. I missed my daughter, I hated my job, I came home crying nearly every day...but saw no other solution. On faith, I left that job and began waitressing only to realize shortly thereafter that we were expecting our second child. I didn't see how it would be possible to support two children when we were barely getting by on Brent's meager salary and my minimal waitressing shifts. But I had faith...strong faith...that everything was meant to be...that God would provide. I was open and listened. And a waitressing job, an in-home daycare, a soap business, and some changes in Brent's work situation later...here I am realizing my wildest dreams!

I didn't even really come here today to spill all of that and get so mushy...but once I started writing, I knew that it was important to look at everything that brought me to this point. I don't want to go all "if you can dream it, you can do it" on you, but I do want to say that if something is on your heart, I'm a firm believer that everything will all come together eventually to make that happen. Life may not always go down the roads you plan, but ultimately, you will always end up where you were intended to go.

So, May is starting off really great, yes?

12 comments:

Jamie May 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Congratulations on the shop - I'm headed over there now - I can't wait to have a piece of your art in my home.

I'm also thrilled that you are in such a great place - you are motivating us all.

PhotoPuddle May 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM  

Congratulations on selling your art. That must feel just so good!
And I love these photos. They are just so summery and happy!

Unknown May 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

Hi, I always love your photos and would really like to buy one but live in England - will it be possible for me to buy from your shop or directly from you? My email is anyawillowfan@yahoo.co.uk, thank you

janine May 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

Your contentment is almost tangible! My study walls are excited that they will soon be sporting one of your prints. Yay!!Happy May to you :)

Corinne Cunningham May 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

Maegan, this gave me goosebumps :) What an amazing looks at a dream coming to fruition. Congratulations, and Happy May!

Jill May 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

What an awesome post! I just found your blog and your first post completely resonated with me. I am working on all the behind the scenes stuff to start my first shop selling my work and I can sense how incredible its going to be to list and sell my first item... so, a big congratulations on your new shop! Your photography is amazing!

Hyacynth May 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

YES!! May is going to be beautiful and wonderful.
Today, the Lord brought to my mind a hymn I never ever have particularly had a special fondness for; it was stuck in my head ALL morning. Reading this brought it to mind again tonight -- "Great is Thy faithfulness ... all I have wanted Your hand hath provided; great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me."
My soul sand this song this morning and I realized it was so true -- all that I wanted, my dreams, His hand has provided. So when you said that you felt like your dreams were realities? Well, I knew what you meant. Mine, too, sweet friend. Mine, too.
Praying May is as wonderful as the hope you have for it. Congratulations on opening your shop.
And I'm ready to talk business whenever you want to shoot me your thoughts via e-mail.

Tonya Petrime May 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

You captured my thoughts exactly. Thank you for encouraging us all to keep trying. Now to check out your art. :)

Suzanne Jeanette May 3, 2010 at 12:52 AM  

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you. How wonderful to see your dreams coming true after so much hard work. It is inspiring!

Kristin Zecchinelli May 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

congrats you!!! can't wait to see what you listed.

Micheline May 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

I love to see self-confidence and blind faith come together and make realities out of dreams. It's inspirational.

beki May 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Oh wow, I can't tell you how much this post speaks to me. I *love* your definition of artist. I aspire to be in that place where you are now. Thanks for reminding me that it is, indeed possible!