Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Job Perks...



Lord knows I love my job. Being a full time mom, for me, offers rewards far above corporate ladder success and six figure salaries. And every morning when my husband leaves for work, I thank God that I do not have to say goodbye to my children for eight plus hours each day. I really do have it great. But there are some things about my husband's nine-to-five that I do covet.


There is the obvious and much desired lunch break, followed closely by the completely solitary drive to and from work. Not to mention the eight nearly uninterrupted hours to get all your work done. Oh, and yes, the ability to clock out and go home...I covet that as well. But lately, I've also been envying the performance related bonuses and raises that are offered in a more formal work environment.


In my job, 100% job performance is not considered exceptional...it's required. It's expected that I have a perfect attendance record {or that I find my own substitute in special situations}. I must meet certain objectives every day  {provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner}. I must maintain certain conditions in the workplace {safety, cleanliness, temperature control, emotional balance}. My job description is rather large and my successfulness at my duties doesn't affect whether or not I get paid or if I get to keep my job, it affects the health and well being of my family. I must chage diapers when they're wet, feed kids when they're hungry, clean hands/kids/clothes when they're dirty...no exceptions. I cannot quit, or leave early, or walk out, or take a break.


I do not get tipped better when I make three made-to-order lunches in under 10 minutes. I do not get a bonus when I come in under budget at the grocery store. There is no monetary incentive for being able to get completely ready for my day in under 20 minutes while singing "The Wheels on the Bus." I do not get promoted for learning 20 different ways to entertain small children in confined spaces. And I certainly do not get a raise for taking on additional roles in the workplace such as computer repair, janitorial service, travel agent, and personal shopper.


There is very little room for error and the stakes for mistakes are much higher. My bosses are fierce...but also small, impressionable, and easily upset. If I speak too harshly, I risk hurting their feelings. If I don't follow through on my word, I risk disappointing them. If I forget something that is important to them, I risk letting them down. If I am late, I risk making them scared and worried. There are no pats on the back for getting everything right...but getting anything wrong can inflict a mighty blow.


My full time job is much different than my husband. He gets raises, gets to clock out, and gets to make mistakes. But I...well, I get to spend each and every day with three of the most beloved little people in my life. I get to watch them grow and give them hugs and teach them about life. And if I make mistakes, I get lots of opportunities to make it up to them...and I never have to worry about getting fired.


So no, I don't get vacation days or bonuses. And the only ladders I'm climbing are on our swing set. But there is no monetary incentive big enough to coerce me into leaving my current position!


19 comments:

Kim Klassen May 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

love, to the moon.... adore.

PhotoPuddle May 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

I am a stay-at-home mum too and could have written that post myself!! It is definitely the best job in the world though!

Vanessa/NessieNoodle May 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

oh this is so wonderful.
you are a lucky lady to get to be home with your beautiful girls!

Jamie May 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

Moms do have the hardest job in the world

Jennifer Gregory May 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

Wow. I really needed to read that. I only have one boy (2nd grade) and I do work full-time out of the home. But in addition to a time clock, I still have to meet all those full-time mommy (with additional hats) jobs.

Recently I've been looking for a change as in more time at home, more freelance, more control over the business choices that affect me, and I've been a little bit resentful of my son; because without him I'd be able to just do it an not really worry about the back lash.

Your post kind of put everything into perspective.

Oh I still want to be somewhere other than where my day job is. But I think I'll approach it a little differently, be more aware and grateful for the time I have with my kiddo.

Corinne Cunningham May 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

Amen to all of that :)
(and oh my word how I miss the lunch hour... but it's so worth it!)

D Dierks May 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

So wonderfully put! Thank you. That brought tears to my eyes, the good kind. :)

Johnna Riddell May 12, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

yes... that's it. :) thanks for this, and for being you.

xo

feather May 12, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

so so true. i often admire than my husband "gets" to travel and stay overnight in a nice hotel room where it is SILENT and he gets to watch tv uninterrupted and sleep throught the night and wake up at his own pace. but then i realize how lonely that must be week after week. we have the perfect life, us stay at home moms, if you ask me. talk about flexibility! what other job allows you to cut out anytime the weather gets warm to enjoy and entire day at the park? or have a "play date" with your adult best friend who also has young children? or requires afternoon siesta's for children and moms alike? 'nuff said!

photography by anika alonzo May 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

I totally know how you feel. I'm a military wife and we have 2 boys, 1 and 2 1/2. I can't tell you how hard one year of being mom and dad for them was during my husbands deployment, but imagining leaving my babies for a whole year is just insane!
Moms are just the best ♥

Rosina May 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

Oh Maegan!! You have said it so well..perfect, actually. We all feel that way at times, but we get a greater reward!! :)

Teresa May 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM  

You wrote exactly how I feel all of the time...you have a wonderful way with words, plus you take gorgeous photos!
I hope we will get to see some from your photoshoot on here...!

Kellie Hatcher May 13, 2010 at 3:09 AM  

perfect and wonderful. so true. love it.

Beth Simmons May 13, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

What a wonderful post about the job of a mother. It makes me a bit teary actually. Your words are perfect and your images are gorgeous. Thanks for this beautiful post.

Amy May 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

LOVE this. Very well said.

Hyacynth May 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

Amen!
So when are you going to submit your hours to hubby for payment?
LOL! Totally kidding. I know, it's a team adventure, but I cannot help but sometimes joke with hubby about how much I would be bring home in pay if I were actually compensated for everything a SAHM does.

Amiee Lynn May 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

Oh Maegan that was soooo good! just so perfect! and I totally agree!!!! and I just love those last couple lines - just great:)

Amiee Lynn May 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

oh, and how can I leave out...gorgeous shots of your girls:)

{cindy} May 14, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

I too just love staying home with our three girls! Thanks for the reaffirming post!
I don't think I have commented before, but your photos are beautiful...thanks for the inspiration!
Enjoy the day!