Monday, May 31, 2010

Making Space & Shortcake...



In the days leading up to this weekend, I found myself talking to Rayne a number of times about how we were going to be working very hard to get ready for our yard sale. In discussing why we had to get rid of things, I made a number of mentions to the fact that we needed to make some space. In true five year old fashion, Rayne immediately started dreaming of all the ways that we could fill our new space: with new toys, with items we've had to store in our basement, with a new play area for this or that. She had a hard time comprehending that we needed space just to have space.


But it got me thinking of how many years of my life I spent making room for something else...and not just making room. So much of my life up until now has been about making and getting and being and doing. And I can honestly feel this palpable transition into a period of opening and anticipating and waiting and creating space for opportunity. So I tried to teach Rayne how we needed to make space just to have space...but the concept was completely lost on her youth...as it would have also been lost on mine.



I think that creating physical space is such an important element for clarity and growth. I feel much more relaxed and hopeful without clutter in my living areas. I truly enjoy letting go of possessions that no longer work for me or mean anything to me. And recently, I'm enjoying the same clutter clearing and letting go in my emotional life as well.



A couple of months ago, I finally made the very hard decision to let go of my soap business. It was no longer serving me in the ways that it once did and it was robbing the energy that I wanted to put elsewhere. I held on to it for almost a year like a pair of pre-baby blue jeans just hoping that in another couple of months it would fit me again. But just as having a baby changes the whole shape of your body, life and growth can change the whole shape of your life.

So I let it go. It was the first time in my life that I let something not physical go without having something waiting to replace it. I felt very strongly that my life was too cluttered to see the path that was laid out before me. Almost instantly, I felt an opening so strong and so full that there was not one moment that I regretted my decision. And in the process, life has opened up and taken new directions, and moved me towards bigger and better places...all because I created space.


So we spent the better part of our three day weekend creating space around here...physical space. And although Rayne may not understand the concept of making space for the sake of space, I hope that she feels the benefits of more openness and more flexibility and more possibility. And while she was a bit upset over having to let go of some of her stuff...I think we more than made it up to her with some fresh strawberry shortcake! So while her youth doesn't always provide her with perspective of the bigger picture, it does provide her with delight in the simple things...and that's what she's teaching me.

24 comments:

Johnna Riddell May 31, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

I loved reading this...I am so glad you are making space. I have thought of you so often this weekend.

hugs xo

Jenny May 31, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Lovely post Meagan, and gorgeous photos as well. I understand it is so hard to let go of something you treasure, physically, or emotionally! Good for you for moving on. Can't wait to see what you do!
xo
Jenny

Kylie May 31, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

love this. it only recently that i too, have started to make space, de-clutter, without any intention or ideas of what to fill that space with.
beautiful shots too!

Jamie May 31, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Beautiful! The roses, the concept and how it applies to your life. A lesson I need to remember.

Corinne Cunningham May 31, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

I spent a few hours this afternoon in my kitchen. Clearing a cabinet (full of wine glasses and drinking paraphernalia... to pack up and hand off to my brother...) just to give us more space. No need to fill with anything. And that felt so luxurious. Next I went to the bedroom and cleared the clutter that had formed over weeks, days, and it felt amazing.
Long winded ramble means... I totally get this post, and where you're coming from. Simplifying, decluttering, is an amazing experience.

Hayley May 31, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

Beautiful beautiful images, and your words are oh so true. When I had a major life overhaul/de-clutter recently I felt lighter than I ever have, it is a brave and life changing experience!

Kristi May 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

You always have a way with words...saying things so beautifully...like a story. I admire that. I need to make some space just for that sake of space too. Things just seem to keep piling up. Thanks for inspiring me!

Stephanie May 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

So well stated Meagan! What a beautiful way to live life! You are teaching your daughter a wonderful life principle that she will cherish one day!
And....oh what glorious roses!

Linda Jackman May 31, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

This was a good read, it made me think about how I also need to make some space and de-clutter.
The photos are SIMPLY wonderful
Linda

Relyn Lawson May 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

You have given me much to ponder today. I am wondering what I can let go to make more space. Not things as much as obligations. That's harder, isn't it?

barbara May 31, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

i held on to those pre baby blue jeans too... little did i know that i'd grow hips :) beautiful post... i too feel lighter after making more space both physically and mentally.

Charity May 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM  

Excellent post - you're right. Physical space can be just as important as mental space, and I think it's fabulous that you're working to pass this idea on, even if it doesn't make sense to your daughter yet. :o)

Erin Wallace June 1, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

Such lovely photos and totally understand the need for personal space . . .

xo Erin

Johanna June 1, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Lovely post. You put into words feelings I have been going through for a while now. Thank you for that.

Erin Butson June 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Love this post. reminds me to make space. that it's important. my husband is always wanting more space and i'm always cluttering it up. but i always feel better with clean,simple space.

Rosie Fluegel June 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

What a lovely post. Very inspiring! I think I will plan a part of our summer break to do just this.

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 June 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

This is the story of my life--getting rid of junk just to add more, a cycle/behavior I am trying to break. Man, it's hard. Love this post!

emhowl June 2, 2010 at 5:07 AM  

Thank you, Meagan. Coincidentally I am making space at the moment, even to the extent that I have decided not to go to a local, annual Stamp Fair this Saturday that I've been going to for eight years, purely because I don't want to fill my new space.

Visty June 2, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

I agree; we can't have any newness come into our lives if we are always stuffed up with the past. I try to remember this as I am going through some of our older mementos, that the memories do not need the physical item, and that once we have space we will feel some peace.

christina June 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

reading this made me feel, just warm inside.
and these photos are amazing.
xo

Suzanne Jeanette June 2, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

Love this post! It is amazing how things just fall into place when we let go of the things that are holding us back in life. I'm so happy things are going so well for you. I hope I can follow your lead on the decluttering (physically and emotionally) in the very near future!

Alely June 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

i have been meaning to de-clutter myself and it's been on my list of things to do but haven't gotten around to it. i am so glad you did! of course, i love, love all of your pictures! you always inspire me!

This Heavenly Life June 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

This is WONDERFUL, Maegan. I love what you do with your uncluttered mind :)

Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

STUNNING photos, wow!! Thanks for sharing :)