Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Returning...


So, as many of you may have known or guessed, I spent my computer hiatus on a small island off the coast of Portland, Maine with the hubs and the kids. I was leary of coming right out and saying I was "leaving my house for such and such amount of time" because of the crazy world in which we live...but I was absolutely busting at the seems to tell you how very very excited I was! We had an absolutely amazing time and I have a ton {and I mean a TON} of pictures and stories and memories to share with you...but reality has hit me hard and it's taking me a couple of extra days to recover and mourn the end of our days on the island. 

We spent six full days on Peaks Island and so much...I mean SO much...happened and changed and manifested in wonderful ways. I thought I would take today to bang out another one of my 30 List for an overview-type recap of my week. And then, once I get through the 1000 plus pictures I took on my trip, I will share more details and specifics with you!

So, without furthur ado...

30 Things I Did Last Week on My Computer Hiatus
  1. Drove 914 miles to Maine and back.
  2. Spent an entire week living in a cottage on an island
  3. Watched NO television
  4. Read The Lovely Bones
  5. Met Kristin
  6. Met Corinne
  7. Met Kathleen
  8. Walked in the Atlantic Ocean
  9. Walked around Portland, ME
  10. Spent a full nine days with my husband
  11. Found sea glass
  12. Collected a massive amount of sea shells
  13. Took over 1000 photos
  14. Ate Maine lobster
  15. Ate authentic New England Clam Chowder in New England
  16. Walked...a lot...everywhere...which felt sooooo good
  17. Went out to dinner...a lot...which was soooooo nice
  18. Watched my baby girl experience the ocean for the first time...and love it!
  19. Watched my big girls search, explore, play on, and love the island beach
  20. Took in breathtakingly gorgeous views daily
  21. Slept with the windows open with a cool island breeze sweeping across the bed
  22. Wrote daily in a journal
  23. Spent honest to goodness QUALITY time with my husband and our children
  24. Sent out postcards from an actual location other than my home
  25. Put our van on a ferry and took it to an island where it stayed for a whole week
  26. Drove very, very minimally...other than the 914 mile round trip, of course!
  27. Fell in love with my husband all over again
  28. Enjoyed my non-tv-obsessed/happy/enjoying life for the little things kids
  29. Fell in love with Maine
  30. Felt very sad about leaving our little slice of paradise :(

I will move past my temporary bluish state...in fact, I am starting to come around and getting excited for some changes that will be occurring around here soon and the obligatory accompanying celebrations that will be necessary!


I want to thank you all for being so kind and supportive of my sweet husband last Sunday! He was so nervous about his post and all of your very kind comments were very encouraging. I think he has even agreed to come back next month!

So, now, I feel like I've missed so much and I just know that it will be impossible to catch up on everything...so please share with me what's been happening in your life! You can even leave a link or two if you'd like if there's been very exciting things! I want to get caught up and here about all the latest! And I promise to be around to visit you again soon!

15 comments:

Teresa June 29, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

Wow..sounds like a WONDERFUL trip!! It's so important to spend that time unplugged and with nature. We're going camping this weekend and hopefully I will get a taste of what you described. Beautiful images..welcome back!

Micheline June 29, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

It sounds like it was a slice of heaven. A well earned slice of heaven. You hinted at how it changed you in unimaginable ways. I love how vacations can do that. The last vacation that Brad and I took was to Nova Scotia (so similar to Maine). We fell in love with it, packed up our family and moved there (here) for good. It still feels crazy to say it out loud. I'm really looking forward to hearing the details of your trip and seeing more of your beautiful photographs.

Debbsga June 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

Welcome back!!! I have to say photography is rocking my world lately. Did the boot camp with you and soon (july 1) a class with Tracey Clark of shutter sisters for a month and then back to college for me to finish my degree. My daughter got her first job and we are sharing the car.She just got back from yearbook camp and lifes great!!

urban muser June 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Sounds amazing! My M-I-L lives in South Portland and we go there often----I will have to check out Peaks Island! Looking forward to seeing some of your pics.

jp June 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

happened upon your blog last week.
this sounds like it was an awesome trip,good for you!

Corinne Cunningham June 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

I'm glad you're back :) We had so much fun with you guys, and I'm dying to go back to the island w/ Lucas!!
Love your list!

R Montalban June 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

I like the 30 list of things that you did and it is great to hear you had such a lovely time. I loved hearing how you described falling in love again, that is so lovely and genuinely enjoying being with your loved ones and friends.

PhotoPuddle June 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see the photos.

PhotoPuddle June 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see the photos.

Tammy Lee Bradley June 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

Wonderful. That is where my family is from. I love Maine.

Jamie June 29, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

Welcome back! I'm so glad you had a good trip. Maine is a dream location for me too - I can't wait to see the photos.

Hyacynth June 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

Your list is Amazing. I know it's hard to be back, but I missed you, you know. So I'm glad you're back. :)

Bonnie June 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

loved that photo on the bench, great perspective! I'm new to your blog and really glad I found it. I've joined your Sunday Creative as well (such a wonderful idea, thank you!).

Your trip sounds perfect to me. My husband and I love to venture out to places where there is no tv to distract you, and walking on the beach is so calming to me. So glad to hear your family had such a lovely time.

Looking forward to see the many photos from your trip!

xoxo,

Bonnie

Anika December 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

Sounds lovely...what a great list and all only in one week! Wow! I look forward to seeing more photos.

lila Braga March 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

sounds like an adventure!! so good to experience life away from the silver box hum?
love the images here...wow!
xoxo