Sunday, March 14, 2010

Saturday Night Bokeh & Joy In Unlikely Places...

Last night was...different. We had a busy day, we got a bunch done, and we decided to treat ourselves to dinner out. It was raining, and windy, and not exceptionally nice out. But out we went, to our local Irish themed mass chain restaurant {which I won't come right out and name but I'm sure you can infer}. They told us there would be a 10-15 min. wait. No problem. We went into the bar area and let the kiddos ogle over the games and such. Long story short, apparently there was only one table in the entire facility that could accommodate our absurdly large family {can you sense my sarcasm?} After waiting nearly 35 minutes, watching countless other parties be sat, prodding the hostesses, then watching them inquire to the manager but the manager apparently concurring that there was, in fact, only one table in the entire facility to accommodate our absurdly large family...I instructed them to take us off the list and we walked out. There was no way I could allow our hard earned cash to support a place like that. Plus, we had very hungry children who were also becoming very tired.
At this point, it was late. We couldn't risk having to wait for a table at any other nicer restaurant {which was a likely occurrence seeing as how it was 6pm on a Saturday night}. So we opted for necessary over nice, as we so often do as parents, and went to Arby's.
I was disappointed. I had wanted a nice meal out with the family. But you know what, there was almost nobody in Arby's, we got our food fast, the kids were happy, and we all laughed so much! I don't know that we would have had quite as good of a time at that unnamed Irish themed restauant-igan {hint, hint}!
Anyway, I had brought my camera along and on the way home decided to capture some great out of focus bokeh pictures. Because you see, a rainy dark night, leaving Arby's, is perhaps the best time and place to capture such pictures. Suddenly those absurd neon signs become beautiful art. And I really like beautiful art.
I took a lot of pictures on our short ride home...because I couldn't help myself. My husband so naively asked "will those even come out? can you even see anything?" "Oh my, Brent...will they ever come out nice!" I assured him. And I think they did.
Okay, God, lesson learned...beauty, love, the true wonderful moments in life come at the most unlikely times, in the most unlikely places.
Like when you're on your way home, from a Saturday night family dinner at Arby's, in the rain.
Happy Sunday to you all! I hope you're having the best of weekends!

14 comments:

Jenny March 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

All that bokeh is amazing!!! And that is so wonderful that your night turned out to be so great. I agree that sometimes with kids, it's just not worth it to stick it out and go somewhere nicer...sometimes they have way more fun at the less-nice places...and that means we do too:-D Too bad that unnamed Irish restaurant was so ridiculous!!!

laurie oneil March 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

This is wonderful!! So many lesson's learned in one night.. who would have known but you kept your mind open and that is when those lesson's come.

I love all your bokeh photos.. very nice xo.

bright and blithe March 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

Beautiful. And so true...sometimes the detour is better than we trip we planned.

Emily March 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

These are absolutely lovely, and you have a lovely story to boot. Thank you for helping me keep my life in perspective in a tiny way today. :) You're a wonderful photographer and writer, and I'm happy I stumbled upon your blog!

janine March 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

Those really are amazing photographs - husbands are such camera doubters sometimes hehe :)Am actually appalled to be (Northern) Irish and in any way associated with such poor restaurant shenan-igans!! Glad all was not lost for your evening.

raining sheep March 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

Ah yes, I remember those days. I am so thrilled you walked out of the place. Ultimately it's the fun times we remember and not necessarily the place we eat so having had a great night with the wee ones, taking some amazing photos....happy days is all I can say :)

casual friday every day March 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

Amazing pictures and words and you!

Nell

Corinne Cunningham March 14, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

How gorgeous! I've been dying to play around w/ my camera to work on shots like that... but I have yet to (intentionally anyway :) )

Rachel March 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

What beautiful pictures. It was meant to be in order for you to share your funny story and mostly your beautiful photos!

gypsysticks March 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Wow...what beautiful photos. I saw you featured in Artful Blogging and wanted to stop by for a visit.
Blessings and happiness,
Athena

Beth Simmons March 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM  

Oh yeah, they came out nice alright! They are wonderful!! I love these rainy bokeh photos! Sorry about your restaurant ordeal. Good thing you left. By the time you would have gotten seated you wouldn't even have enjoyed your meal because you just would've been too mad! Yay for Arby's saving the night!

Cassie March 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

Truly great photographs!! Thank you for sharing!

Jamie March 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

You have to do a tutorial on how you got those shots - amazing.

Jade Sheldon March 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

What a treat to read: you truly have a way with words and humor :)

The days that usually seem so dreary to begin with are usually the ones that turn out to be so perfect in the end.