Friday, February 26, 2010

Realities & Blessings...

Okay, so here we are again. It's Friday and I'm going for a second round of Realities & Blessings! It's simple, I give a reality of my life this week and then its proverbial silver lining. Alrighty then...

Reality: I am so ready for spring. Really and honestly and truly. I'm ready for flip flops and cherry blossoms, sunshine and long walks. However, last night we got another eight inches of snow :( And it's super cold :( And it's super windy :(
Blessing: I adore taking pictures of snow. So last night, after a long day inside with a very sick Maya, I got to head out and take some pictures {which I can now share with you here today because this is all about making beauty out of messes, right?}. Taking pictures, being outside...it all just relaxed and rejuvenated me.

Reality: I allow my children to watch TV when I need a break, when they need a break, when Maya needs a nap and we need some quiet. I try to limit daily TV time to no more than an hour and a half or so...but some days it's way a bit more. {however, some days it's also zero...just depends on the day}
Blessing: I really only let them watch PBS and it's most often Sesame Street which I totally count as learning time! In fact, today as Rayne was requesting her afternoon snack, she said "pretzels and fruit snacks, por favor." For those of you not well acquainted with Sesame Street or the Spanish language, 'por favor' means 'please.' :) Thank you Sesame Street!


Reality: I have challenged myself to 52 weeks of self portraits: I must take a self portrait each week. This is hard for me as I don't really love to see myself in photos. I realized that I had been hiding behind Maya in many of my recent selfies. So I took some more artistic photos {see above} and I was really happy with how they turned out. However, Brent did not 'get' my artistic vision. He did not love the photos as I had loved them.
Blessing: I love him anyway. In fact, I love him more for being honest with me. And, I posted the photos on Flickr anyway and got the positive feedback I was looking for from my beautiful and like minded Flickr friends. {I love you guys!!!}


Reality: Maya's new thing is to get into the kitchen pantry and 'rearrange' the spices, cans, and whatnot. She's even taken to throwing jars of baby food {because they sound really cool when they hit our hard ceramic tile floor} and also pulling out all the muffin tins, bread racks, Pyrex dishes, etc. I then have to put everything away...provided it's not broken.
Blessing: Well, she's so stinking cute that I have a hard time seeing anything she does as less than adorable. Also, her focused play in the pantry allows me to clean dishes and cook for the rest of the household {because they do like to eat meals...on clean dishes}. Plus, her curiosity and determination will serve her well in the future.

Reality: Maya was sick...really sick...almost all week. So I spent yet another week not getting a thing done around the house. We have piles of laundry and dishes...both clean and dirty...covering most surfaces in our house.
Blessing: One week from tomorrow, Maya will turn one year! Her days of laying in my arms and being glued to my hip are numbered. I'm a little sad about this upcoming birthday and this week offered me plenty of extra cuddle time with my baby!

Reality: Because of Maya {and Layla} being sick this week, I didn't get to write all the blog posts that I had in mind for this week. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but I actually have a backlog of blog post ideas going and I was hoping to get through a bunch this week.
Blessing: There is so much good stuff coming next week including a special new project coming on Monday and a two part series on creativity!

So there you have it, friends. Two weeks in a row! I think it's officially a "thing" now! I'd love it if you joined in. If you do, just post your link in the comments.

Here's a few more pics of my winter evening photo walk...





Happy Friday, everyone! xo

15 comments:

janine February 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

Just wanted to say hi - I came across your blog while reading Artful Blogging and am very much enjoying your photographs and honest writing about life with your girls. I look forward to coming back and maybe even joining you in your realities and blessings one of these weeks. Goodness knows I need to look for the blessings some days :)

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 February 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

Gorgeous pictures today, love them all!
I joined you today in the realities and blessings challenge, I feel better already! : )
http://amyluckynumber13.blogspot.com/2010/02/oh-no-she-didnt.html

Johnna Riddell February 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

O Maegan, this is lovely, all your honesty and rejoicing is so refreshing... I have been gone all day, busy ... and this was the first place I stopped when I got home. :)

Thanks so much for sharing... and I adore your selfie ;)

Beth Simmons February 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

I loved reading all your blessings and realities again this week. I love how you are showing what a difference your outlook on things can make. My daughter is a sahm and I think she would enjoy this realities and blessing thing. I'm going to share your link with her if you don't mind.

t does wool February 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

so very lovely...your checks and balances here...beautiful post

Kim Klassen February 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

oh my word.. this is FANTASTIC... wonderful.. i laughed out loud in parts.. seriously... and smiled and sighed.. love the way you share your realities and blessings...

thanks you.... xxo, kim
p.s. that selfie, completely ROCKS. :)

Unknown February 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

love the photos...the snow is beautiful :)

Corinne Cunningham February 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Your self portrait is breathtaking, that's my favorite photo in this post!

Magnolia Handspun February 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

I am lost in your images Madeline...so very lovely.

Magnolia Handspun February 26, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

ahem, I meant Meagan.

HeidiH February 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

You are such an inspiration, it's good to see the positive side of things, so hard sometimes. It's good that you can get out for photos and get a bit of a break with things going so rough this past week. Your photos are amazing!! Here's to a fantastic week ahead!!! xo

ffprncez February 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

This is a delight to read. And I love your shots in this blog! Can't wait for next week.

Kathleen February 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

Tessa and Calder are watching pbs right now - how else can a mama get some blog time? - and I feel every one of your realities... thanks for sharing the blessings too!

Karina February 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

So glad you are continuing with this. I love reading your perspective - looking for the good. It's a wonderful (not so difficult) way of changing a a mood that could easily turn nasty. Something for me to consider - for sure. Have a great weekend.

Jamie February 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Your photos are amazing!!! Almost enough to make me enjoy the snow.

Reality: I hate packing and have to do it twice in the next week.
Blessing: I get to see my family this week even if only for a day or so.