Friday, April 9, 2010

Realities & Blessings {& Spring Blossoms}...

Here we are again for another week's worth of Realities & Blessings...it's my little way of looking back on the week's challenges and putting them in a positive light. I love how it helps my enter the weekend with a fresh perspective.

This week, I thought I'd share some images of my favorite pieces of Spring with you...buds & blossoms!


Reality: Nap times in this house are currently in a state of unrest {pun very much intended}. We had been feeling that Rayne was ready to give up her afternoon nap. But Layla, who is not ready to give hers up, is very much sure she is. Not only are my kiddos tired and a bit crazy, but changes in schedule are often difficult for me and upseting to our normal flow.
Blessing: They infamous 'they' are always saying that change is good. Where I say that the jury may still be out on that one, it is good to assess patterns and make changes where necessary. This shift in Rayne's schedule will allow me to spend a little more time with her and it will give her some opportunities to unwind alone...without the 'entertainment' of Layla. We will all soon find our new normals and get back into a new predictable flow.

Reality: Layla is turning four...FOUR...tomorrow. You know how I feel about birthdays and my sweet babies getting older. And if you don't know...I happen to dislike the whole aging process greatly when it comes to the kids.
Blessing: Layla really is turning into a good little girl...a fun, funny, beautiful little girl. She is definitely not a baby any more and I really love the little lady she is turning out to be!

Reality: As a part of my constant need to learn more and more about the art and skill of photography, I started shooting in RAW...it doesn't compress the files, as it does with jpegs, and as a result, you gain more editing control. This has not only come with a whole new learning curve, but also a whole new set of things I must learn and adjustments I must make because these files are much bigger and behave differently than traditional image files. It has been yet another uncomfortable, uncertain, and frustrating growth period which also resulted in the loss of some very loved magnolia image files.
Blessing: I can shoot in RAW!!!!! Great hardships reap great rewards. I really do love the editing options that this format allows. I have now figured out most of the logistics of what needs to happen. I have re-assessed my photo storage options and come up with what I feel are inherently better solutions. And, I went back to the park and re-took those magnolia images that I loved and lost.

Reality: I have been having a very hard time lately keeping up with life's responsibilities. I feel overwhelmed and unorganized while at the same time feeling very lazy. I have Spring fever in a bad way and all I really want to do is play outside and take pictures.
Blessing: My primary job in life is to take care of my children. And lucky for me, all they want to do is play outside. Sooooo...I have a really good excuse reason for falling behind in my other duties. Unfortunately, this has also made me a bad blog friend as of late...and for that I do apologize! I hope my Spring fever cools off a bit soon and I can resume normal functioning levels...probably!

So, there you have it, another week's worth of Realities & Blessings. I am super excited that so many of you have decided to join in! Please link back here and feel free to leave your link in the comments of this post!

I will see you tomorrow for another of my 30 Lists; 30 Things I Love About Layla...the birthday gal! Aaannnddd...you'll get to see a bunch of the photos from her session last Friday!

Happy Friday, dear friends!

18 comments:

Cassie April 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

OH that is exciting! I've heard of shooting in raw. Some day, you should explain more about it.. I'm interested!

And tell the birthday girl .. happy birthday!

Johnna Riddell April 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

( I totally forgot to link back here... I am so sorry, but I fixed it... )

What a delightful read. I can relate on so many levels... wow...

I will have you in my thoughts tomorrow as you sing happy birthday and unwrap presents... such a bittersweet time...

YAY for you, shooting in RAW... I am so impressed. I really want to but I am not sure where to start, and I really have to figure out what to do with the entire year of 2009 that's still on my hard-drive... phew.

I love all the photos in this post. Lovely. And such great spring light and tones!

Cassie April 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

Oh and ps. wrote my realities and blessings http://fearlessdarling.blogspot.com

sorry for the double comment but I hadn't written it yet :0)

Corinne Cunningham April 9, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

We had a day w/o naps today, and it was awful... really really awful. I'm so glad you were able to find a blessing in all of that on your end!
:) I love these posts...

Hyacynth April 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM  

Your outlook is so refreshing. What a beautiful reminder to find the good. Sometimes it is all too easy to get caught up in the "poor me, this isn't going how I want it to" train of thought.
Tomorrow when Gabe pees in a cup at the dining room table, maybe I will be able to muster the energy to be grateful that I have realized he peed in the cup and it's not apple juice. Not that that kind of stuff ever happens here. ;)
Lastly, it's totally 100 percent OK to not keep up with blogs when it's beautiful outside and there are lots of pictures to capture of lovely flowers and lovely little girls. Because after all, those lovely things change into new lovely things, so we need to capture them now.

Kris's Kaptured Moments April 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

I miss naps. I do enjoy the earlier bedtime though! A tough transition, I wish you louck.

I am so impressed that you are shooting in RAW, I may have to try it too.Your images are so beautiful already, in RAW it can get better? Wow, I can"t see your new shots..

Next, happy birthday to your sweetie pie. I hope she has a wonderful day, happy birthday to you Mommy.

Blessings all the way around, my sweet friend.

Kris's Kaptured Moments April 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

I miss naps. I do enjoy the earlier bedtime though! A tough transition, I wish you louck.

I am so impressed that you are shooting in RAW, I may have to try it too.Your images are so beautiful already, in RAW it can get better? Wow, I can"t see your new shots..

Next, happy birthday to your sweetie pie. I hope she has a wonderful day, happy birthday to you Mommy.

Blessings all the way around, my sweet friend.

Beth Simmons April 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

I loved reading your list of realities and blessings! I love reading how you found a way to look on the bright side:)
I now always shoot in raw and could never go back. Not until I learn how to get it exactly right sooc:) All of these images in this post are truly stunning!!

Corinne Cunningham April 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

(and I finally wrote a post myself, thank you for the inspiration! :) http://www.trainstutusandteatime.com/2010/04/realities-and-blessings.html )

Micheline April 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

I sometimes wonder if the slogan of motherhood should be "bittersweet." There are so many moments each and every day that fit into this category. Birthdays being one of the highest on the list. After celebrating one here today, I'll be thinking of you and sympathizing all the way. Happy birthday to the birthday girl.

Your photos this week are all beautiful. Your love of being outside really came through.

Kellie April 10, 2010 at 3:46 AM  

I can't even tell you how glad I was to be reminded it was friday on your flickr photo. This is my new favorite read on Friday...Maegan, you are such and inspiration to me. I can relate to every motherhood part of this! Thank you, for making me feel normal and reminding me to be grateful.

feather April 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

the more time i spend here in your little space the more i am inspired! i was just checking your link on the 30 lists and fell in love iwth your outlook on life and your creative ideas of expression. you are a fantastic writer and documenter! i always enjoys your realities and blessings. i love the title and i love the format of reflection. thank you for so much to think about! and a happy birthday to your little one!

Connie in Hartwood April 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

Enjoy your girls ... they grow up so fast (mine are 23, 24, and 26 now) There's something very special about a whole herd of little girls in the house.

Your photos are fabulous!
Connie

janine April 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

I am simultaneously excited and terrified of RAW. And thus far procrastination has ruled supreme and I've done nothing about it! Soon:) Still looking for the blessings in my realities this week but I'll be sure to do it over the weekend. Enjoy the birthday fun :)

imoomie April 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

Great post! Enjoy the balance of the realities/blessings!

Hopping over from Corinne's site to say "hey".

Laurie April 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Happy Spring Maegan! I so look forward to reading your R&B post's.. I have finally decided to start one as well..

As for shooting in RAW it's awesome and once you get the hang of editing in it you may find you will never go back to shooting in jpegs.. lol..

Happy Birthday to the birthday girl.. hope you have many many moments of fun this weekend..:-)

Here is my blog post for R&B.. have a great weekend xo

http://laurieoneil.com/2010/04/realities-and-blessings/

ruthpclark April 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

I love this idea . . . looking for the positive in everything! I really wish I could adopt this practice--perhaps I'll try!

Magnolia Handspun April 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Beautiful post and spring images, so uplifting...and a late Happy Birthday to Layla!